Miss Dolton’s gown from 1871

This has been one of my dream gowns since I started sewing. I begun the project in 2014, but for reasons it was never finished and I never was able to pick it up again. Until now.


I decided to use the 1871 skirt pattern from Patterns of Fashion since I had had success with it before. The overskirt is simple in shape that I just draped it on myself from mockup fabric.

I used the skirt pattern as is, just adjusted the train length. I used duchess silk satin, and it’s unlined. I made a wide hem facing and used a velvet ribbon as a brush braid.

The overskirt is unlined as well.

While the skirt construction was quick and easy, the trimming was not. It’s several rows of silk organza that I pleated and sewed down with a bias strip of the dress fabric running down in the middle.

Next post is about the bodice.

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s